Friday, January 8, 2010

Living the High Life

I have usually thought that I would like to be fabulously wealthy or else a bit on the poor side, but not somewhere in between - such as moderately wealthy. While it might be obvious why I would enjoy being "fabulously wealthy," it may seem stranger that I would prefer, for lack of a better word, lower class to middle class.

The answer, of course, comes from the challenge. Just for definitions sake, let me explain what I mean by fabulously wealthy, moderately wealthy, and somewhat poor. Fabulously wealthy means that, without having to have a job or even "manage" my finances unless I choose to, I can do whatever I want - take vacations, buy a house, buy a car...without thinking of the financial consequences. I believe a sum of at least $5 million might put me in this area, although with inflation and such, it might take more. Obviously fabulously wealthy is a crazy dream.

Moderately wealthy is what most of us are, or what we might call "middle class." You may want to picture "upper middle class," however. Moderately wealthy means you manage to pay the bills, put a bit (or a large chunk really) into savings, and still have plenty left over to spend or splurge as you see fit. This means that, while you cannot have both a new luxury car and a boat, you can have one, or you can have both in a few more years of hard work. Moderately wealthy is full of perceptions. Maybe the object that I am choosing between is not so pricey as a car (do I buy a book or a DVD?), but there is disposable income involved.

Somewhat poor is somewhere between making minimum wage and...well, moderately wealthy. It is where you don't have to choose between the book and DVD because you likely can't have either, where you potentially work multiple jobs, and where you likely have government subsidies. So what's the advantage?

To me, moderately wealthy is not a challenge, especially since most Americans fall into the range somewhere between wanting a book and a boat. An income earner of moderate wealth can hope to work himself up from wanting a book to a boat, but there is little chance of any of us becoming fabulously wealthy. That kind of wealth is inherited, won, or earned in those hard to come by, hard to perform jobs.

So while it would be nice to dream about, if I want to live like I'm moderately wealthy, I have to actually spend money that I have earned. Every purchase or decision has a drawback associated with it. Being moderately wealthy brings to mind the common phrase, "You can't take it with you." Why should I struggle to get from book to boat if I'm still going to be in the same relative class?

No, an actual struggle would be nice. Throughout my college years I felt as though I was living in a board game. You budget. You work. You spend less than you make. And then, boom - I had a job that paid all the bills I had to pay (just not all the bills I wanted to pay). There is no uncertainty or excitement in life.

So I have created a false sense of poverty. I don't stick to it as much as I should - I still find myself eating out or being wasteful in another way (books...I have to buy my books). But I throw everything I can into savings in the hope that one day I can jump from book to boat in an instant, even though I would be content to live in the book class the rest of my life.

On the other hand, I have been reminded that there are advantages to being Moderately Wealthy, and I can apply them to making my life more pleasant. Today I noticed a coworker with a unique coffee cup, and I realized that there are simple ways to make yourself feel fabulously wealthy without actually so being.

1. Chinaware and Dishes

One advantage of being moderately wealthy is that we can make purchases that are not a necessity. My dishes were given to me by my well-meaning mother. I did not pick them out. I did not register for them. They are quaint. But not fabulous. I prefer to leave them that way because I don't really care to go spending money just so the china I (and usually I alone) eat off is more attractive.

However, my coworker's mug reminded me that there are advantages to picking out some great dishes. She was drinking coffee from a clear glas mug, which is something I only associate with the high life. You know, you sometimes see such glassware on cruises or first class cabins or fancy hotels. And yet, here she was in a 9-5 office sipping from a piece of art.

I imagined myself sipping out of that cup...let's face it, coffee's coffee, and it probably would get cold so quickly...but every time I lifted the mug to my lips, I would imagine myself a princess and dream of a sunlit breakfast room...I have nothing to do all day, and after I finish my coffee, I will sit in the garden and read...ah the high life.

Although I haven't tried it, I'm sure a similar effect could be produced if you ate dinner on fine china. I am sure some fine looking china can be bought at very reasonable prices - the conveniences of a modern world!

2. Moderate Alcohol Consumption
While the media have done a most excellent job of pointing out the perils of smoking, they have not taken the same steps with drinking. Perhaps this reflects a societal acceptance of one over the other. "Going clubbing" has been romanticized, and many young people believe the best way to spend their nights off is to go to a bar and drink until they can't remember anything. Personally, I would rather remember what I do in my free time because otherwise it feels wasted. However, Hollywood has done an excellent job of pointing out a more sophisticated, moderate type drinker.

I recently watched a movie where the main characters would meet over cocktails - sometimes in an "upscale" bar, sometimes at home. Over the holidays I watched Frasier entertain his guests by offering them a glass of wine or brandy (or was it sherry)? Formal dinners of any sort are accompanied by wine - not water, and punch is always spiked.

Whether moderate alcohol consumption is advantageous to your health is still an uncertain debate, but the jury came back long ago and announced that moderate drinking was not detrimental to your health. Many people drink a glass of wine with dinner for heart problems. I am told alcohol (red wine specifically) may help bust belly fat. The myth of a "night cap" helping you to sleep has been busted, but I have no problem with someone drinking in the comfort of their own home.

With the exception of beer (which is nasty and, I believe, almost crude), alcohol can have an image of sophistication. While I am neither advocating or fighting against moderate alcohol consumption, I have found its addition to my routine makes me feel classy.

I don't mean I drink a glass of wine every night. Actually, I would call myself a light drinker. What I speak of is the relaxing effect pouring your pop, juice, or even water into a wine or martini glass can have! Indeed, my new favorite hobby is to pour my Mountain Dew into a wine glass, open my blinds, and stand in the morning sun working on my crossword puzzle.

Yes, blame Hollywood and warn weaker minds against the real dangers of alcohol, but even without the buzz, it can add a hint of sophistication to your life.

I could go on about ways to feel like you are living the high life while still on a budget. However, it's up to your imagination. As someone with disposable income, you can choose how to spend your money. Perhaps you want to fly first clas - just once - on a family vacation. Or visit the extremely pricey restaraunt even when it's not a special date. It's your choice.

I, on the other hand, am going to curl up with my wine goblet, looking forward to when the sun streams in my room, and I will remember to keep my eye out for clear glass coffee mugs so that I, too, can feel like a princess.

No comments: