Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Good Friday

Recently I wrote about a typical Sunday for me. I thought it would be fun to explain my typical Friday. First of all, let me backtrack to the rest of the week. Most nights I get home around 5:00 and aim for bed by 9:00 (so I actually get to bed by 10:00). These days include as long a walk as I can stand, eating dinner, playing computer games, maybe a soak in the tub.

Mondays I volunteer, which I always go to in a crabby mood, dragging my feet. I don't get home until 7:30 or later, which cuts my 5 hours into about 2 (thus the crabbiness).

Tuesdays Kristen is usually home, so I like to talk to her. Sometimes we just sit together in the living room both playing our computers. Sometimes we go out to dinner.

Wednesdays are my veg nights. I have nothing going on.

Thursdays I have puppy class (intermediate dog training, actually).

But Fridays I don't care when I go to bed, because I can "sleep in" or take a nap the next day. So I have a ritual. While the general weeknight pattern takes place, I have a few twists. I eat cheese pizza, for one. I also allow myself any other fun snack - like ice cream or s'mores. Sometimes I rent a movie. But the best part happens at 9:00.

At 9:00 I get into the big poofy red chair and prop my feet up. I have at my disposal a book or my laptop. I also have a nice glass of either wine or Dr. Pepper (in a wine glass, of course, to add to the glamour of it). Then I turn on the TV and watch "Star Trek: The Next Generations" - which I personally think is the least appealing of the four series I have followed in my life, but which I had rarely cared to see when it was airing. I get lost in the sci-fi show, in odd musings, subtle political statements. And, of course, I have my book or computer for the advertisements.

After Star Trek the King of Queens comes on and reminds me of my stay in Chicago - ah, I miss those days!

And I also miss Fridays when I don't get to play this came. I am half tempted to perform the routine tonight, and just risk being crabby tomorrow morning. I haven't decided yet, but I do know that I don't have any Dr. Pepper or wine lying around...

No comments: