Friday, June 6, 2008

Franklinvile


Don't ask about the title today...


So! Philadelphia sites:


Franklin Institute ***1/2

The Franklin Institute is a hands-on type musuem, designed around science and learning and catering more to kids than adults. Having been to similar musuems in Chicago (the Field Musuem **1/2, Adler Planetarium ****, and the Musuem of Science and Industry ***), I was able to get a feel for where Franklin ranked. Like the other three musuems, this is supposedly a bit pricy - we came less than an hour before closing and got in for free - but has ever changing exhibits. One such exhibit, the Silence Dogood Letters, (which may or may not have actually been there) were featured in the smash hit - National Treasure.


The Liberty Bell ****

Like many historic landmarks in Philadelphia, the Liberty Bell is free of charge to enter. We also came to this exhibit around closing, and according to Ian, there's usually a huge line. Because we missed the line, I also didn't have to read all the information about the bell posted for in-line entertainment. Therefore, I wasn't exactly psyched or awed by the bell - not having been indoctrinated with its importance beforehand. But, like so many things in life, the meaning solidified in my head over the next couple of days. I recommend this - it's free, and even with the line, you get the chance to learn history.


10th Street Presbyterian Church ***3/4

So it's not a tourist attraction, per se, but the Scherlings had gone to a few churches (including the famous Christ Church) and chose this one to be their home for eight months. I've been wildly about Presbyterians for a few reasons: 1) I don't know what makes them specifically different than other denominations - I don't know what they believe, and 2) I've been reading Catholic propoganda, and it seems a disproportionate amount of converts to Catholicism are former Presbyterians. Several points on this church - it's traditional and high, meaning they follow a form of liturgy, and they sang hymns. The music was played by an organ and brass band, although Ian says that sometimes there are strings and piano, it just depends. The song selections didn't thrill me - in fact, one song had the wrong lyrics, causing me to become disoriented and inattentive. I did like three main things:

1. The invocation: This was the longest prayer I have ever heard. Usually long prayers distract me, and I stop paying attention. They also make me think of the pharisees Jesus spoke about in the Bible. But this prayer was different - sure, I drifted after a few minutes, but when it continued still longer, my attention drew back to it. The pastor was intent, not on using big words for his own glory, but of getting out everything that was on his heart. I don't know if this is usual practice with him, but I felt comforted - this was an honest prayer, a serious prayer, and something he wanted to share with the rest of us.

2. The sermon: Although I took notes, I don't think the sermon specifically "spoke" to me or thrilled me. But the Scherlings told me how this pastor was exegetical - in that he chose a book of the Bible or a passage of scripture and pulled his thoughts from that. So we were learning out of I Kings, and I was thrilled that he could pull out so many applicable points out of what I usually think of an abstract, or at least historic, text.

3. Communion: On the way to church, I learned that the Scherlings had only experienced communion once since they had moved to Philadelphia, and I was honored that I got to experience it as well. It appears, like many large churches, they do it quarterly, or tri-annually. They passed out the bread and wine, but we waited to partake of it until everyone had some. Then, in a liturgical fashion, the pastor said, "Christ's body - broken for us." This manner spoke to me - helped me contemplate on communion and remember what it was for. It was "higher" than UCC - where I've been going the past few years, and yet not even as liturgical as the church I grew up in (we kneel and say a specific prayer). Best of all, the pastor read from the Bible - that's it. Straight out the words of the Bible.


The Italian Market ****

What can I say? This wasn't on my list of things to see, but down I went with the Scherlings on Sunday after church. First they found a little Italian shop and went to buy supplies for ravioli for dinner. It was the kind of shop where fresh bread was sitting out, where chesse came in huge wheels, and where you point at something and they prepare it and wrap it for you. They bought mozzarella nuts - sticks of mozzarella cheese tied into knots and then soaked in a garlicy sauce. Mine had a hair in it...but as soon as that was out of sight, I was able to eat it with minimal gagging. Seriously - it was quite delicious! We walked up and down the streets - there was a little festival going on in a little church courtyard. There were street vendors of fresh fruit (prices comparable to grocery stores), fish, and souveniers. Between the loveliness of the day, the reasonable prices, and the uniqueness of the experience, I consider this market well-worth a visit to.

No comments: