Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Tribute to Roman Numerals

As hot August days turned into hot September nights, four unique auditors continued to huddle around a cramped table trying to finish up what may have been one of the world's worst audits. We were as different as four people could be. Our religions ranged from atheist to devout. Our politics seemed to follow the same lines. Our hobbies included dogs, drinking, drinking, and eccentricity.

However, one evening we were united by a simple comment from our fearless leader when she said, "You know what really makes my day? When you're typing your phone number into a form on the internet and it automatically jumps to the next space." How true. It really does make one's day.

As we commented on her discovery, we made a discovery of our own - that we were in a circle of safety. Despite our differences, we could unite around the fact that, unfortunately or not, we were accountants. And as such, we have little quirks that mostly only accountants (or nerds) and people with OCD could have.

So I have decided to pay tribute to my nerdiness - things that bring me joy that probably bring very few other people in the world the same joy as they do me.

And, of course what tribute to nerdiness would be complete without a tribute to Roman Numerals?

As a child, I was vaguely aware and curious about the odd letters on clocks that were supposedly numbers. I learned what they meant more out of an understanding of the location of the hands of the clock (VI was down at the bottom and therefore must mean six) than because I was taught.

Imagine my joy as an accountant when I learned this new number system formally! Oh how I loved using the formula to determine what letter to place next. I loved counting: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX, watching the length of the number grow and shrink - so unlike our systematic arabic numerals!

Of course, to add to this joy, I believe the class that taught us the mysteries behind the roman numerals also taught us the wonders of outlines. For the rest of that school year I took every opportunity to make my notes in outline - I loved to see how many letters or numbers I would accumulate before having to start over again. I loved to see how far indented I could get - switching I - A - 1 - a - i...and so on!

Now add the accountant's final joy, not discovered until years later in my first Tax class - IRS Code! The code took my outlining and turned it into a word. Section 106(A)(2)(c)(ii). If I could ever use this system, I did!

If ever there was someone destined to love roman numerals, outlines, and IRS code references, it was me. As a small child I took every opportunity to line things up and categorize them. If it could be lined up or sorted, it was done: I sorted the silverware going into the dishwasher as well as out of it, I sorted crayons by color or length, I was constantly changing the arrangement of CD's and books, and I took all my toys and simply lined them up in great long rows.

To this we add an interest in codes and foreign languages, which explains some of my joy with the roman numerals. Knowing that I was born in MCMLXXXIV and that this year is MMX makes me feel educated at least, like a kind of spy on a good day.

Of course, all this knowledge is all but useless in modern days except when outlining or reading the backs of movies. There is one additional use of roman numerals, which leads me to my next ode to nerdiness subject, the crossword puzzle!