Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ah Christmas Songs

Christmas Songs I don't Particularly Like:

Cherry Cherry Christmas - never should have been written. I don't have this strong feelings about most songs, but seriously. (P.S. I have a magic touch - no sooner had I typed this out than the next song on the radio - you guessed it! And I did this yesterday...okay, let's talk about "Do You Hear What I Hear" "What Child Is This" and "Africa.")
Mary, Did You Know? - Very good lyrics, yes, and perhaps goes farther than most songs to tell the Nativity / Jesus story, but I just don't like it, and that's that. I think it has to do with years of going to church as a kid and hearing terrible covers of it, usually by people who introduced it as a "wonderful new song they found just this year that they really like and is just so beautiful.' Yeah, it can't be new every year.
Merry Xmas (War Is Over) - mixed feelings here. The song itself is okay and singable and not requiring of changing the channel, but it is so...well...you know...written by hippies.
Christmastime Is Here - Really bad children's choir, not a really good melody...you have to be really sure of yourself to make up a new Christmas song and actually expect it to be a hit...this is yuck.
Santa Baby
Merry Christmas Baby - honestly, it says she is "lit up like a Christmas tree."
God Bless America - okay, I know it's not a Christmas song, but this seems as good a place as any to put it. It is disproportionately popular, and I absolutely can't stand it. It's not that I have a problem with the words...but it is an ugly, repeat U-G-L-Y tune. Yuck.
Christmas in Kansas City - that is not even a real song.

Songs Overplayed:

Chipmunk Christmas Song
Away in a Manger
Have a Holly Jolly Christmas - not a bad song, but it is overplayed. Now, the Burl Ives (is that right?) version I might actually move to the Don't Like list...but that may be due to overplayedness, so I won't.
Train's Song - It may be too early to tell, but I have decided that this song is GREAT if you just hear the chorus, like on the Coca Cola commercial, but even getting through the full song can be a little much, so onto this list it goes! :)
The 12 Days of Christmas - except the funny ones...honestly, the only way to get away with this song anymore is to make it funny. Specific examples are the one that says, "Beer!" and the one where they break out into other songs in the middle, "On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!"
All I Want for Christmas Is You
Christmas Shoes

Songs I DO Like: (I mean, really really like)

What Child Is This
Do You Hear What I Hear
Hark the Herald Angels Sing - almost any Christmas hymn with a few exceptions
Do They Know It's Christmastime?
Christmas Canon
Wizards of Winter
Anything Mannheim Steamroller
Silver Bells and It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas - make me think of 1940's Christmases....
Where Are You Christmas?
Nobody Wants to Be Alone on Christmas - from my Home Alone soundtrack
That Jamaican style song of "Hark now hear the angels singeth a new king born today and man will live forevermore because of Christmas day..." I like the old Irishy sounding version, too, but the Jamaican one is jammin' ya know?
Polar Express song by Josh Groban - I had better like it, it's in iPod.

No comments: