Monday, December 6, 2010

What Child Is This?

"What Child Is This" has been a favorite Christmas song of mine from the first time I can remember singing it. The Greensleeves melody is beautiful and haunting, reminding me of a far away age. Yet, without the the carol's lyrics, the melody is nice but not absolutely memorable.

"What Child is this who, laid to rest, on Mary's lap is sleeping,
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet while shephderds' watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing.
Haste, haste to bring him laud, the babe the son of Mary."

"Why lies He in such mean estate where ox and ass are keeping?
Good Christians fear: for sinners here the silent Word is pleading.
This, this is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing.
Haste, haste to bring him laud, the babe the son of Mary."

I like the second line in this verse, and yet I am not sure if I am interpreting it right. "Good Christians fear." Can you imagine the awe and fear of seeing God in person? And perhaps, if a Christian, of seeing your personal Savior? The fact that He is a little baby makes it even more awesome - that power causing fear. Not fear for our lives, but just immense awareness of something greater than we are. I wonder if those who visited Baby Jesus felt that - did they know how important he was? They knew something, or they would not have come, but did they KNOW? I wonder what it would have been like to have seen Him on that night (or any time as a baby) and carried that one meeting with you your whole life. Did they become Christians later on?

Of course, the second half of the line, "For sinners here the silent Word is pleading." Are the two halves connected? Well, I think so. All Christians are still sinners - so here they are meeting their Savior, the Word, who pleads their case before the Throne of Heaven. I think that would increase my awe and fear, knowing that. And non Christians? Other "sinners?" Well, their case is being plead as well. That is the beauty of the Christmas story.

"So bring Him incense, gold, and myrrh. Come peasant, king to own him.
The King of Kings salvation brings; let loving hearts enthrone Him!
Raise, raise the song on high, the Virgin sings a lullaby.
Joy! Joy! For Christ is born, the babe, the son of Mary."

It was a few years ago that this carol became my all-time favorite. Usually there is one each season, and true enough there are those that I like. But since the words, "King of Kings" popped out at me, I cannot get them out of my head at Christmastime. The King of Kings! The greatest king the world will ever know, and He is just a little baby! It goes back to the awe in the last verse. I can't write more because the feeling those words inspire in me is not one that I can put into words. It's just...wow. This is why I do not write Christmas songs - I am not articulate enough to express what needs to be said about the incarnation. All the awe and power and joy come to earth on one night. It is beautiful!

No comments: