Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Boycott

It's kind of funny how the world works. A few weeks ago, almost by accident, I discovered that a company that is near-vital to my current life situation, one that I do business on a regular basis, one whose competitors don't hold a candle to, donates money to Planned Parenthood (PP).

I had been aware that there is a group of pro-life activists out there who research PP donors and boycott them. (Their website is www.fightpp.org) But the list is locked down and must be purchased, and so I never got involved. I could claim ignorance before. I cannot now. And in learning about this company, I learned about more - one which, though less vital to my current existence, turned my stomach. And so I purchased the list. (Some are turned off by the requirement to purchase the list but I can justify the organization's reasons - not only do they use the money to fund their research and campaign, purchasing shows that you have a greater commitment to the boycott, which I will explain below).

My list arrived in the mail and was easy to read. I quickly ran through it and highlighted companies that I do, did, or would reasonably expect to do, business with. There was also a list of "dishonorable mentions" - not-for-profit groups that also donated money to PP (who would have guessed that when you "donate" these groups just redirect your funds for you). It also included a schedule for me - it had divided people who subscribe to the list into categories, and we are all asked to write letters to different companies on a weekly basis. I see the value in this idea - that way the company is always being reminded. However, I wasn't sure what to do with the list - many of the companies on my schedule were those I did not do business with. Without being slightly dishonest, threatening to boycott a company I would never normally buy from doesn't seem to be much help.

The list also promises to update me on new additions and, more importantly, subtractions. For instance, Mrs. Fields and Kohl's have recently been removed from the list. It is important to know so that we can - and even should - begin buying from these companies again. They are the prodigals! Although I like Kohl's, and although JCPenny's and Sears (as far as I know) were never even on the list, I should favor Kohl's in my shopping now so that they can see the difference the end of the boycott made. On the other hand - we don't want to accidentally send a letter to a company that is no longer supporting PP.

Anyway, I have some observations about how this boycott thing works, I'd like to write about because I find it interesting. I would like to devote some time to the companies themselves and their replies - if any - but only on my Pro Life page. The reason is that I think we have a responsibility to boycott these companies, even if we don't write letters, because of where the money goes, I know that if someone finds out a company name and then ignores the information, then they have a conscience issue - so that is why I will only write the names on the other page.

Writing these companies is a unique and paradoxical activity. First of all, there is the challenge of pointing out how incredibly disappointed I am, while still being polite. But also, I want to be (honestly) complimentary toward the organization. Essentially my message is this - I love your product and always have. I appreciate your desire to give back to the community, but I don't agree with how you are doing it. When you stop, I will buy your products again, and even go out of my way to do so.

As I mentioned above, some of these companies are very hard to boycott. For some, it is a mental, emotional, or financial boycott. I couldn't believe that family organization was on that list! That company's competitor is so expensive and has terrible service! But then you have to think, "Am I willing to pay for abortions? How many babies am I willing to kill to save money?" But other companies are almost impossible to boycott! There is a company on this list that is so ingrained in every day life, that it would almost be like boycotting water! (Another reason I don't give out names - if it's unavoidable, how can you live with the guilt). Some companies are those that I would never buy the product, but I find myself using at work (software - for some reason there are a lot of software companies). Others are media outlets, such that I never actually give them any money - they make all their money from advertisers but depend on ratings. So how do I know if I am contributing to their ratings?

What I have found is that setting ground rules is essential. For instance, I only boycott the actual company, not those that sell the products. For instance, Wal-Mart is a major retailer, and it carries a lot of these products because they are popular with customers and because it offers choice. At this time, I choose not to boycott Wal-Mart because they are not on the list, and that is a good thing. In the same way, if I am boycotting a television network, I am not going to flat-out boycott everyone who advertises on that channel. Or boycott a company who donates to a charity that donates to PP.

Another ground rule is about how to treat the company you work for. Most of us don't have enough power in our company to make decisions like charities to donate to, although we can always try to influence from the inside. One website I went to said not to quit your job if you're company is on the list, unless you are a revenue producer. I slightly disagree. I would attempt a few times to change policy from the inside, while looking for a new job in the mean time. But there are other issues with your work place - like I mentioned before, software. I can't change what software my company uses, nor can I decide which office supplies we buy. I can still write letters, but I have no actual power behind the letters.

I have decided, whenever a charity on the list asks for money, that I will donate money to a charity not on the list - and then I can write the charity and show them my choice.

So far I have been lucky to not have to make life or death decisions based on this. I don't take any regular pharmaceutical drugs, but many pharmaceutical companies are on this list, and many make unique life-sustaining drugs! I honestly don't know how I would handle this ethical dilemma, except I think I would ask my doctor if there was anything even close that another manufacturer made. But these situations make the company's position even more disturbing - it is as if they are holding you hostage to help pay for PP, just as we are forced to pay taxes which go to PP as well.

Some companies are such that their presence on the list doesn't surprise me, and I don't think we CAN make much of a difference - even economically. Maybe they sell "adult products." Maybe their CEO is a known advocate of population control or other liberal type agendas. Some sell pregnancy tests, which can be used by PP but also by pregnancy crisis centers - they are a product for both. We can still boycott the company due to ethical reasons, but it may never make a difference because they see their donations as in-line with their business model. I just learned also that many of these companies are based in Europe - where the abortion mentality has been ingrained much longer than in the U.S.

While I am alarmed at sickened at some of the companies on the list (so-called "family" companies), I am also surprised at some NOT on the list. Not that I'm complaining. The biggest surprise is animal oriented companies and charities (I don't remember seeing the Humane Society). As I said, I'm not complaining, and I think it shows that most companies have better charities to donate to - PetSmart, for instance, would be donating to the Humane Society and not bothering about PP. But I also know some very strong pro-animal and pro-environment people are also for population control, and I can see the connection. It comes down to, "Love animals, hate humans." But that is not what I see on the list, so I like that.

This is a very serious boycott, and I have already found times when it is difficult to follow - but I do. It makes me think about other types of boycotts - some people boycott non-green companies, companies that use sweatshops, or non-American companies. Such morality based boycotts are hard - they consume every aspect of our life, and we have to trust God to take care of us if we have to make difficult or financially insecure decisions. Still, I have do to what I have to do - and I hope that very soon I can report a company coming off the list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me if Levi is still on the boycott list