Thursday, November 1, 2007

More Fairy Tales

In celebration of the month of November, and probably for all future posts, I have decided to make my titles just plain normal titles. This actually could be quite fun, because I believe that a really good title is truly everything!

I would like to add another saga to my fairy tale:

In the mighty fortress of Doom Mansion, there is a legend of a crown - a crown with 12 jewels on it. Many eons ago, the jewels fell off the crown, and were lost in the labyrinth below the castle. However, as legend has it, when all 12 stones are reunited with their crown, the person who wears the crown will have great power indeed, and restore sunshine to the kingdom, giving Doom Mansion a new name.

As as squire for Knight Andi the Maroon, I was sent on a quest to discover the 12 jewels and reunite them with the crown, sitting in the glass case far above in the Great Hall. After months of searching and wading through mud and battling trolls and ogres, I finally had managed to find 11 of the stones. My Knight had been tragically slain in a duel with one of the ogres - the duel that left me with the eleventh jewel.

As I trudged out of the muddy pit, tears and mud streaking my face, I heard a voice, and squinted into the ill-lit labyrinth. "Who goes there?" I called.

"I am Sir Adam the Brave! Squire - give me those stones." A man stepped into the light, dressed in a sparkling silver suit of armor.

"But, Sir, I have these 11 stones. I need the last stone to give to my new Knight."

"I am your new Knight. You will obey me. I have the last stone, and I wish to give all 12 to the Prince at once."

"So with my 11 jewels, so goes my glory." I stated.

He drew his sword with a swift motion, and before I could react, the cold steel blade was pressed against my neck. I flinched, but did not back away. To the left, I heard a shuffling of feet, and looked to see the bold Marshall of the Knights coming down the stairs that led to the entrance to the labyrinths. He stopped to watch, but said nothing.

"The jewels, squire! NOW!" Shouted the knight.

Having no choice...I slowly reached into my pouch, giving up all hopes of ever truly becoming a Knight Performing Magnificent Gestures...or whatever. All 11 jewels fit snugly in my hand, and I opened it, ever so slightly for the knight to see.

In another swift movement, he had lowered his sword and taken the jewels away. Now, my emotions were running high because of the loss of my former Knight, and it took everything I could muster to choke back the sob that rose in my throat.

And then, as suddenly as he had appeared, something changed on the knight's countenance. I know not what he saw to soften his heart. Some say that all 12 jewels, when united, give the owner a sense of goodness. Maybe he just had pity on me, as he watched me standing in the dungeon - muddy face, muddy hair, muddy clothing, and trembling with fear, cold, and emotion.

But the Knight gave me the slightest nod and held out his hand again, this time dropping all 12 stones into it. "Go," He nodded toward the Marshall, still standing in the stair, now with a smile playing across his lips, "You've earned it."

So, with a new spring in my step and a renewed faith in my Knights and their valor, I held my head up high, and ascended the stairs, onward - toward the great hall - one step closer to victory.

No comments: