Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My Wedding

Okay, don't freak anyone. I'm still doing that dorky "my" thing...although I'm thinking maybe I'll branch out in November.

Although, along those lines, I have a funny story. I was talking to one of my managers today about her best friend, and she said, "She's the one person I know will be in my wedding." Now, Heidi is not engaged so...I asked if she had a sister, which she did not. Then I said, "Well, I do, and my mom's decided that she gets to be in my wedding."

Heidi's face lit up. "Are you getting married?"

I just thought it was funny - we're talking generalities here, about events that may or may not even ever happen. And all of the sudden, when it's my turn, we're talking specifics. :) And, of course, neither of us wear rings...

But it did remind me that you have to be careful around people who don't know you that well...

But what I really wanted to post about was something I have noticed recently as one of my friends prepares for her wedding. Now, what I'm about to comment on I think is wonderful and amazing, and I hope it does not come out differently.

Weddings are expensive. And they are time consuming. But what I've noticed is that you never have to do it alone. And I'm not talking about the spouse-to-be. The maid of honor and best man help out a lot! And then there are the bridesmaids and groomsmen. They help out both with time and money. I didn't know before that bridesmaids bought their own dresses, shoes, hairstyles, etc.

Now, I've never been asked by a friend to spend hundreds of dollars so that she could get married while I watched and prayed that it wouldn't happen two more times. But, I don't think I'd mind. I mean, that's the beauty of weddings.

In a wedding, being asked to help, to volunteer your time, even for menial tasks like serving punch and cookies, is an honor. Now, I can see this kind of behaviour at a funeral, "What can I do to make it better?" But I think it's glorious how with a wedding everyone comes together to help out. They help, asking nothing in return. They work their hardest to make the day all about the happy couple - it's not about the guests. They chip in a little when asked to help because it's an honor.

There are times when I look at society as a whole and am scared. But then I look at something simple like this (or Santa Claus) and realize that, even with the group mentality and political strife that we face today, our hearts are in the right place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.