Friday, October 19, 2007

My Book Reports

So, while I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately, I have read a lot of interesting, as well as not interesting, books that I want to share with the world.

Mere Christianity - I don't actually know if I could summarize this book without actually rewriting it. If you read it, I suggest reading the preface, because it's actually useful. C.S. Lewis wrote this book in an attempt to explain the very basics of Christianity, before you add in all the denominational issues. Now, I've been doing a lot of reading on those, and it turns out that the implications of theology are very real and important. That said, many of those issues cannot be fully resolved on earth, and as long as they remain a mystery to us, they shouldn't really divide us. Of course, that is coming from a wishy-washy theologian who was raised in a very accepting church. Anyway, there are two parts of the book that I particularly love. The first section is amazing - it essentially turns faith into logic and vice versa - the ultimate essay on appologetics. In the second half of the book, Lewis has a way of explaining things, using wonderful analogies, that were previously too difficult to explain or wrap my mind around. I always feel, when reading C.S. Lewis's books, whether Chronicles of Narnia or theological discourses, that if I could just express myself as C.S. Lewis does, I could be the world's next great author! I REALLY recommend you read it. But don't buy it. And don't steal it. Because you can borrow it from me! ;)

The History of Christianity - Don't you just love the title? I had to put this book down because better things came along. But I must admit that while it was going, it was good. I was rereading the first 400 years, which I've already read a lot about. But it's interesting to see a change in perspective. For instance, I read one book written by Christians, then a historical book about Constantine that focused ess on the religious aspects. And this book is "history for history's sake." A "realistic" perspective. And it's challenging! Really! Where C.S. Lewis made faith logical, this book makes me think, "Does this jive with what I've been taught? Or does one have to be wrong?" And, honestly, I don't think there's ever going to be such thing as an unbiased view on religion. But it's a good read for those of us who love history!

The Rise of the American Mob - Honestly, I don't know if this book or the one before are accurately titled here. Anyway, I was interested in the mob, so my sister got me this for my sojourn in Chicago. It's actually full of a lot of little mini-stories about the mob. So where the Christianity book was too analytical, this one isn't enough! I would rather have one detailed book about one mob ring than several little chapters about them.

For Young Women Only - This is a cute little book for...teenage girls...(it's counterpart is for married women, so where does a single girl in her twenties fit in?) and essentially breaks down the differences between men and women by looking at how guys are different, how to treat them, how not to treat them, and what they wish we knew about them. I've read a similar book before. There are things in here that made both me and Kristen (I borrowed it from her) go - WHAT?!

For Men Only - WHY am I reading a book for men? Because it's fun, that's why! I actually think that this book, while it couldn't stand alone, might be more help for women than the female version. First you learn about women, and then you get to see the guys' reactions to women (when they go WHAT?!). And I find myself amused at the things they are surprised at. But the best part is learninga bout women. Honestly, even girls cannot understand girls - we're all so different and run on emotions that it seems impossible. But the book does logically look at some of the workings of the inner mind. I found out why both Kristen and I would always wonder if we were still friends for no reason (coming from two girls who have only been mad at each other in their nightmares). And now I find myself pondering about how many "windows" I have open in my head at a time. Honestly, I'm usually afraid I don't have enough. But then sometimes I proudly think, "Aha! I doubt a guy would have randomly had to juggle these thoughts and remembered to do this..."

Daniel - Okay, not a freestanding book, but it does deserve mention. My friend Janel says this is her favorite book of the Bible, and I always thought it was kind of strange - like Revelation. Sure, I like the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (who wouldn't like names like that?) but there were all those weird dreams to be interpreted about the "end times" and things like that. Well, this time around I was reading an NIV study Bible - and it really cleared things up. That book is amazing! It seems that every major historical event between the time of Daniel and the time of Christ was predicted - major military upsets, kings, how they rose and fell...fascinating!

No comments: