Monday, October 22, 2007

My Pet Peeves

So something has been on my mind for a long time now, and I have to get it out. This summer was a little stressful at work, and my friend often told me about her "pet peeves." And the more I thought about it, this was my conclusion - we all have pet peeves, but what are they, really? I mean, most of them are things that someone does to us to annoy us. But it's not intentional, or those people wouldn't do it!

I'll get really vulnerable here with an example: many people have a pet peeve about people talking on the cell phone in certain places. Let's go with restaurants. Well, the thing is, the people on the phones obviously don't feel the same way. They're not out to get the non-talkers. And as long as the people in my party don't care, and I don't mind being overheard, I figure I can talk or not talk wherever I want!

That said, I have decided to make a list of pet peeves. These are things that really bother me. But the catch is, they're pet peeves that I do! (So...bad habits maybe?)

1. Not covering my mouth when I yawn - honestly, I've gotten out of habit because I yawn alone. So now you know - never yawn alone and never drink alone. And now I'm all paranoid that I'll forget and do it in front of someone else. being the tortoise...

2. Introducing everything I say - "Can I ask you something?" "So I was thinking the other day..." "So this is what I have to say..." I can't remember all of them. But I will never forget the day (last December) when I discovered that I cannot speak up without introducing whatever phrase, question, or tidbit is coming out of my mouth. And I find it annoying. And I look at my friends and think, "How can you stand that?"

2b. "As I was telling so and so" - Along the lines of introducing, I hate this little phrase of mine. Who cares if what I told you is what I told someone else? Sometimes they don't even know each other! And I personally feel that it's better to keep that a secret anyway - that way the person you're talking to doesn't feel like the second choice.

Now, while I'm making this list, I'll just note one more thing. I've found that, contrary to expectations, I tend to do well with negative people. I think being around negative people forces me to perk up and be the cheery one, the Pollyanna, the person who finds the silver lining in every situation. Think about it! You go to work and want to rant about something, but your coworkers troubles seem more pressing. So you cheer them up, and in the process, get a better perspective on life yourself!

Okay, so I had to edit my list because it could have turned into a rag-on-Sarah fest.

But the point is this: I have asked my accountability partner(s) to try to help me not be so peevy, or peeved, whichever. I mean, when someone does something in traffic that makes me grit my teeth in anger, I may be doing the same thing just down the road.

And the most important part of not allowing pet peeves to get in the way of life: people are a lot easier to love when you look past their little flaws.

No comments: