Sunday, March 9, 2008

Home

So I've found a home among my coworkers. In case anyone didn't know, I absolutely LOVE working in Chicago! And, as with any job, it's the coworkers who make the difference.

Anyway, I've been struck by something since about November - people I work with laugh at my jokes! (That's unusual, in case there was any question).

But I've finally figured it out!

I have found the smalles possible subset of personality type to equal mine.

Let me explain.

For those who major in accounting, there are two major career paths - public and private. If you choose private, you can go tax or audit. You also have to choose what firm to work for: Deloitte, KPMG, Price Waterhouse Coopers, or Ernst and Young. Or you could go with a smaller firm.

The result is a sort of flow chart or tree diagram, that splits up accounting into no less than 11 career paths - right out of college! Kansas City is unique, however, there is more splitting up, as within the firm you can choose what kind of industry to audit.

And with each break, a difference in personality. Differences are subtle to the outsider - we're all accountants after all.

Public accountants are professionals - they tend to be ambitious, glamorous, and young. How does that happen? Well, usually they jump ship to private accounting early on in their careers, although not before they had a chance to get a little boost.

In public accounting, there are tax and audit, and here comes probably the bigest difference in accounting strata. I can't describe tax as much, not being in it, except that they like routine. A tax friend of mine described it as becoming an expert in something. Tax accountants also get the opportunity to help people, and I'm assuming they like that.

Auditors describe their jobs as doing something different every day. They get to travel and work with people (although not always help them). They ask questions. A large part of their job is, "Why? Why? Can you explain that? Yes, but?"

And then there's the different firms! KPMG is the "fun" firm. PWC - the nerds. And EY is a combo of both. And, of course, if you choose to go with a smaller firm, that says a lot about the work environment and kinds of clients you're interested in.

There are assumptions I can make about industries - finance auditors make more money, government auditors have better hours. It's a matter of priorities, there.

So now that I've enlightened everyone as to the secret inner workings of accountants, I just would like to reiterate the main point - I am happy at work because I had to go through a rigourous personality test to get where I was - to make that decision. So it only makes sense that people should laugh at my jokes - they get me because they are like me!

(Disclaimer - they are also very different from me - I learn interesting facts every day)

No comments: