Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thou Shalt Not Covet

So I've been thinking about this commandment, and I think for women it might have a special meaning.

I'm not a typical woman - I don't care a lot about decorating my new house. But I do know a good looking house when I see it, and I wish I could afford to decorate it nicely (including hiring said decorators).

Anyway, another thing I covet - other womens' clothes.

Oh yes. Walking down the halls at work, seemingly every girl I pass has a "cute" outfit on, and I find myself thinking, "I want that. I really want that." Then desperately trying to memorize what's in it.

See, I'm not good at clothing choices. I often fall for the trick of, "If it's on sale, it must be in style," as well as the, "Granny clothes on a young model" trick. I can't really match, and I am forced to stick to simple, yet effective rules to keep me dressed:

1. Don't wear stripes with stripes.
2. Just go ahead and say that anything with a pattern cannot be worn with anything else with a pattern
3. Don't wear two blacks, unless you are absolutely sure they go together (so in my case, don't wear black with black)

I'm sure there are more.

Anyway, my friends have helped me shop, but I still wake up every morning unsure of what I'm throwing together from my supply. I have literally dreamed of going into a store, pointing to a manequin, and asking the sales lady to give it to me in my size. And I order from catalogs now, so that I can see the picture of how it all goes together.

But I still find myself lusting over other women's outfits. How do they do it?

And the funny thing is, I want all of the outfits, but how could I ever afford them? I have too many clothes as it is?

I suppose I just long to be put together.

So while I was walking down the hall, Ithought that I this "clothe envy" really was breaking a commandment. But why the commandment?

I suppose there's some Good reasons. God didn't want a man lusting after his neighbor's wife so much that he was a) unfaithful with her b) unfaithful with his own wife or c) Would send his neighbor into the front lines of a battle so he could marry his neighbor's wife, who was already pregnant with his son (David)

But if you take the literal words away and turn it into "thou shalt not envy" there are even more lessons. Being green is not an attractive color in person. At all.

And it also belies seomthing about the jealous person. Low self confidence. Belief that something else is better. Less trust in the life God gave them.

So when I covet my coworkers clothing, I'm saying, essentially, I can't do it on my own. I'm not happy with the way God made me (fashion dense). Instead, I should be celebrating the gifts God did give me.

No comments: