Sunday, May 4, 2008

Inspiration!

So I've just been reading my friend Anna's post and it inspired me in so many ways. First, I was inspired to just give an update on my life - nothing philosophical for once. Second, she posted goals for 2008 - I should make goals. Third, she posted things she was thankful for - I will compose a list! And finally: I've been worried that sometimes my blog gets a little whiny or soapboxy but, typical Anna, she can very tastefully compose a blog that explains her feelings or stance on a subject while still being a very positive person. And that's essentially what I want to convey - even if I'm commenting on societal practices that I don't necessarily approve of.

Anyway, here's the update on my life:

On April 6 I said a not-really-teary goodbye to all my friends/coworkers in my temporarily adopted city of Chicago and flew back to Kansas City to start my life as an auditor for KPMG. I say this because it truly felt like I had somehow been on a 7-month internship in Chicago (with a side-trip to Detroit and Nebraska), and was now starting my real full-time job in Kansas City.

I took a week of vacation to go home and pack. This didn't take as long as I had anticipated (nor did the unpacking bit). It's easy to decorate a house when you have no skill for it - you just do it, you don't think about it.

Friday I closed on a condo in Shawnee, and we moved in during cold weather. I had friends help with the moving boxes bit, but within an hour it was down to, "Where does Sarah want this?" And that was all up to me. We discovered early on that the house is, if nothing else, well-insulated. With the temperature set around 63, my room upstairs was cozy!

Kristen moved in last weekend, we had a huge fight, and now I am ready for her to move out again. No, I jest. We're getting along just as great as ever, except maybe we squabble over where to go on walks...

My job is a little more complicated of a story. I worked for two weeks (7 days really) on a pharmaceutical company that was going public. Coming into the job, I was sure it was going to fulfill my dream of becoming a pharmaceutical "guru" auditor which included a side-trip to Ireland.

Instead, it involved another first-year associate who started with me but had more experience on the job. Thus it was two-weeks of pure lack of self-confidence and dread fear that I would lose this client! Which eventually I did. Due to the lack of work to be done, I was pulled of to my new client, while the "princess" stayed on. (Disclaimer - I actually like the girl I worked with - she's great to be around and I am glad she's one of my coworkers in the office...I just wish we could trade clients!)

Another unfortunate event during those two weeks was the "opportunity" to work on a client in Springfield, Missouri. Don't get me wrong - I am rearing to go travelling again! Apparently my exhaustion in Chicago was just from work, and after a week of vacation and one day at work, I found the idea of travel very pleasant indeed! Unfortunately this client is governmental - the City of Springfield.

For non-accountants, let me tell you - governments use a different method of accounting, developed under the theory that there is not supposed to be a profit, so numbers like "income" don't really work. However, as I have no interest in governmental accounting (I actually find it a little suspicious and am wary of those who would say it is useful in any circumstance) I see the "opportunity" to work on a government client only as 5-weeks completely lost out of my life. Five more weeks that I will feel "behind" those in my start class. Five weeks I could have been working on a real client and learning real GAAP.

I also strongly say this: I completely ignored little accounting firms in wonderful cities like Wichita and Manhattan because, although I have no interest in Kansas City as a place, I did NOT want to work on municipalities. So guess where I'm going?

That's later this fall. But for now I'm working on a life insurance company. Another sector that I don't really have a desire to learn a lot about. The company seems nice: we're in a huge marble atrium with statues and benches and artwork on the wall. Essentially they threw cubicles in what used to be the lobby of a great big bank. Also, my senior likes to work from 7 - 4 and eat lunch in. FINALLY - common sense! While this arrangement doesn't actually mean I miss much traffic (apparently 4:00 is the new 5:00 when it comes to getting off work), at least my 30 minute commute gets me home at 4:30 rather than later. And I'm developing the habit of getting up early, so sleeping in is now 6:15, and I think my mornings (not to mention days) will be a lot more productive, even when I move back to 8 and 8:30 clients.

That's the last bit of the emotional roller-coaster. As much as I like the setup of the client, my lifelong pursuit of learning is being hampered a bit by the life insurance industry it's in. Likewise, although I have the city of Springfield lined up, they tell me this job is a year-round job. Which means if I stay out here too long, it could be the last client I see for a long time. HELP! (This actually makes Springfield a bit of a good deal...)

It all boils down to needing my mommy...or in this case, my performance manager. Reviews are coming up, and I'm going to ask her exactly how one pursues her intellectual and career goals when the market is scarce and the clientele does not actually make anything.

Yes, boring accounting stuff, I know. However, perhaps I can get some good pictures of my house...now I'm off to a Bachathon! There are actually people in Kansas City who also recognize Bach as the greatest composer ever! They have devoted 5 hours today to celebrate him! How can I pass up an opportunity like that?

Hark! Kristen is looking for me, and I must go.

1 comment:

Anna Kristina said...

Aww! I'm so honored I've inspired you and your bloggingness! :) Glad to hear the update, but I still need to call you... :)