Sunday, May 11, 2008

Untouchables

The church I've been going to has been doing this thing recently where it focuses on missions. It has the feel...not so much of a church service...but of a "special" where you go at night and the missionary comes and talks about his accomplishments. But when done on Sunday morning, it can reach so many more people!

I'm not complaining - just stating that it's a little unusual. Actually, I've been hearing a lot recently, and I'm really really trying to figure outwhere that's taking me. I mean, how should I respond? Money? Prayers? Those are the two most practical ways. And I don't feel called to the mission field itself. Yet. But the messages keep coming.

So today they talked about a few things that really caught my attention. The first was child trafficking and abuse. I suppose I had kind of forgotten how bad things were - even in America. They mentioned statistics - one country alone is estimated to have 800,000 girls under the age of 18 working as forced prostitutes. Just one country. I was struck by the sin of the world!

The truth is, it feels like these problems have been around for all of time. But just because these countries aren't specifically "Christian" countries, doesn't mean that bringing the Gospel to them will just solve things overnight. Look at America. It began to feel like an unsolvable problem. Like playing "whack-a-head" or whatever the carnival game is. Imagine reaching one country and ridding it of child trafficking, only to turn around and discover that the problem has doubled in 12 other countries, including your own.

Another mission area they mentioned was India - a place where there is a rigorous caste system. I don't know if it is imposed by the government (like the Apartheid in South Africa) or just socially accpetable. This was hard to wrap my mind around at first - a group of people so low on the caste system, they were called "untouchables." It warmed my heart to see the preacher put his arm around one of these "untouchables" as they spoke on the stage. How can people so blatantly force a way of life upon others? How can you judge based on circumstances uncer your control?

But then again, how can you judge at all. In America we have some untouchables, too. The terminally ill, the elderly, the crazy. This is something I struggle with so much - the elderly. I flee from them. I try not to draw close to them. It's like they have a disease I can catch. But I've already caught it. It's called age. We have poor - generations of poor - who never leave the slums that they were raised in. Is this society imposed? Government imposed? We would like to think not. So then, how can we help?

So here I am, carrying on the banner that was passed to me at church today, desperately trying to figure out what I am going to do, what I am called to do to respond to these needs. And there are so many others. There are so many good and worthy causes out there - which one do you choose? Water for impoverished area? Education? Food? Adoption? Which will have the most lasting impact? Which is the most pressing?

My final thought is this - Jesus said, "The harvest is plenty but the workers are few." If every Christian gave themselves 100% to missions - to helping the world in whatever way they could - it would make a difference! A huge difference! It already is making a difference, but just imagine! You could rid that country of child prostitution as well as bring water to it. And more than that, people would see your love and respond. And there is something we all can do - we just have to find what it is!

2 comments:

Wade said...

I know this is an old blog, but I couldn't help to comment. A friends cousin is doing work like this, and has for...10 years now I think. She mainly works in China, and she loves it.

Helping the less fortunate, and seeing the joy she brings to them is what makes the job for her, however she said it took a lot of prayer and talks with God, close friends, and members of her church before deciding that was the path she was to take.

You said aren't called to go into the mission work, but perhaps doing what you can to aid children (like the adopting you mentioned in your most recent post) or something is a way you can help and answer the messages you said you are receiving. Either way God will show you in the end :)

Sarah Giltner said...

That's so true. I had to re-read the post, because I ended it without the final conclusion I had actually made.

It always sounded so puny in sermons, but they used to say, "Maybe your gift is that you can make money..." I thought that meant the really rich people. But it literally means anyone who has a job...

If we all went on missions, then when we came back, there wouldn't be anyone at home to fund our missions. And right now, I know that, and prayer, are the best I can do.

There's also the mission at home of just loving your neighbor and, "being the miracle" (like in Bruce Almighty).

There's so much to do...