Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Tribute to my Mother

Somehow the readership of my blog has increased 300% overnight. While I don't expect that kind of attention on a regular basis, it has certainly increased my concern about creating a quality blog. I don't attempt to do that tonight - in fact, I have suddenly become overwhelmed with sub-par blog ideas.

But I do want to take some time out and acknowledge some special people in my life, and since this month, nay, this Sunday is Mother's Day, that person that I shall honor today shall be my mother.

But how do I honor my mother? What can I proclaim to the world about how great she is?

Well...my mom doesn't get me. And I don't get her. And yet, I think it's kind of beautiful in a way. I mean, here she has this daughter - her own flesh and blood - and we look just alike. And yet she can't get into my head. I bet it drives her nuts. No, I know it does. She wonders where I came from.

But this is about her.

My mom is the most sacrificing perfect mother in the world. She's not perfect. But she's perfect as far as mothers go. Everything she does is aimed at pleasing her husband and kids. Not that we were spoiled. But she's the mother that remembers our interest and what's going on in our lives. She lets us call and pour our souls out to her for hours on end. She comforts us when we're sad. She disciplines us when we're bad. She takes care of us. And, yes, I suppose sometimes she does spoil us.

Mom was always the one we went to for fun as a kid. She was the one we could count on to let us read books at dinner, buy us ice cream occasionally, and permit us to make cookies whenever we wanted to (we were all a bit chubbier in high school).

So I guess that's the short of it - my little tribute to my mom - she gives so much to our happiness, asks so little, and she would give so much if asked to. So, Happy Mother's Day, mom! You're the best!

No comments: