Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kansas vs. KXYZ

Today, while listening to the morning show on the way to work, I heard an interesting, although not surprising fact: Kansas is one of the cheapest places to visit. (Believe me, after Chicago, I even go to restauarants and stared at the menus in delighted awe). "Ah, yes!" I gave myself a mental pat on the back.

However, moments later, my state pride turned to horror as the announcers continued. There were two men, both from Missouri, and a woman from Kansas. "Yeah, too bad your state ends at Lawrence!" One told her.

To my utter shock, she agreed! They all went further saying, "Have you seen those Kansas advertisements, too? They advertise places like the Flint Hills! Come see a big field? What's up with that? Visit Salina! You know what's worst? They put Wichita on there! It's like one big giant trailor park!"

Okay...it ends here. Right now! I have been a Kansan all my life and, unlike the female announcer, I have a little bit of state pride. And that means the entire state.

Recently I had to compile a top ten list of things to do in Kansas for a curious friend. You know what was on that list? The top item was Konza Prairie - the most beautiful nature walk in the Flint Hills - conveniently located in Manhattan! (Likewise, I believe a KSU football game was on the list - if the team's not winning, at least the atmosphere's great!)

I also put Abilene, the salt mines of Huchinson, Dodge City, and, yes, something I'm sure in the Kansas City area.

The truth is, Kansas has a lot of great places to visit, and city slickers who grew up in Johnson county probably couldn't understand. So I'll make it simple.

People don't come to Kansas for the racetrack or the plaza. Sure - it's something to do while in Kansas city. But Kansas City draws Kansans! That's right - people already in the state! Or Nebraskans, or Missouri...ans...not real tourists. Can you really imagine someone from Chicago, Washington D.C., New York, or San Fransisco coming to Kansas City and really being wowed by the racetrack? Seriously?

Now, I'm not saying they would be wowed by Dodge City, but I am saying that if a city slicker dared to venture into the Wild West (or central) areas of Kansas, he probably would be coming to see something akin to the Wild West - the outdoors, nature. Not a half-baked version of what he came from. Because, really, that's what Kansas City is!

Kansas city is similar to weapons in the Civil war. They had advanced weaponry, but no one had bothered to update the manner of actually fighting, causing more casualties. Likewise, Kansas City is a fairly large metro area. But it hasn't updated with the times. There's no public transportation, so there's always traffic jams. The people aren't even all that educated. And, frankly, I'm really searching here for quality things to do that my peers might actually find interesting.

It all boils down to not judging, really. I mean, your idea of a good place to be might be a city with lots of restaurants and shopping. But if that's what you want, then Kansas City doesn't nearly stack up to other major cities around the country. I, however, am interested in history and culture. I am interested in learning about the history and culture that Kansas City has to offer.

But don't knock Kansas! We've got you beat on history, culture, and panoramic views any day of the week!

5 comments:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

I agree with you, Sarah! You have it exactly right. Kansas has places of quiet serenity that no longer exist in many other places. The history and culture are distinctive and special, to those care about such things.

Vanessa Hoosier said...

Sarah blogs?!? I'm so excited about this!!

(And I completely agree with you about Kansas...what lucky girls we are to get to experience it and know the true beauty of the state!)

Miss you!!

Vanessa
vanessa.hoozh.net

Wade said...

sup sarah,

i agree, despite liking to go to kc, i am also proud of my state

We have some great places to see, and trails to walk on, and having grown up in western kansas i can honestly say there is a lot of cool things to see and do out there

and good luck on starting the new job :)

Anna Kristina said...

Amen! I miss our stars, and the slow pace of life. On the train to Boston, we talked to some people from Baltimore, and they were fascinated about Kansas (rural Kansas) and said how nice it is we're more "cultured" having experienced both. They said people missed out who only lived in the city, because they don't know anything else. And you're right. Some people say, "oh, I've flown into KC" but no one out here would dream of vacationing there. After living here, not that I don't like KC, but there's no way I can consider it a major US city... lol! The racetrack can't really compete with Independence Hall or Boston Commons, or Madison Square Gardens. Although Ian thinks the Nelson-Adkins is better than the Museum of Art here (at least on the inside... :D)

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Wonderful comments!
Kansas is distinctive, especially the Flint Hills region. The old West still lives. Life is slower, even if just for a bit. Visit regularly!

Dr. Bill ;-)

Personal Blog: http://flinthillsofkansas.blogspot.com/

Our 22 county Flint Hills Tourism Coalition, Inc. promotes experiential tourism visits to the Kansas Flint Hills – the website is: http://www.kansasflinthills.travel/