Friday, August 31, 2007

My De-Icers

Let me just say, I don't see any of anyone enough. Not nearly enough. And therefore, I have so much I want do discuss with people: theological and spiritual revelations, funny experiences, thoughts about the future.

I suppose, since I've told this story the straight way once, I can get away with telling a bit more.

Our classes wrapped up on Thursday, and we all headed out to the airport. Seventeen people from KC flew out of Orlando; fifteen of them flew the same Southwest flight. As for myself, I somehow must have thought it would be fun to have a layover, as my total travel time was to last five hours (compared to their three). No...that's not really interesting, is it?

Anyway, we went our separate ways. Let me just say, right now, that being a pilot makes me incredibly aware on airplanes. I have millions of questions I want to ask the pilot: Why did you turn right instead of left? What kind of checklist do you go through? Do you let someone else count all the bolts, or do you do that yourself at the beginning of the day? Can I see the cockpit?

Of course, when I'm flying, I control the two most important aspects of the flight: the yoke and the throttle. As a passenger, I hear the pilot make all the little adjustments to power that I myself make when I fly, but since I have no control over it, I don't like it. I want to know WHY we're doing this now...

Anyway, the pilot had told us that there would be thunderstorms, and that he was going to try to fly around them. As I was looking out the window, about half an hour into the flight, we banked to the left. I figured we were making a sharp left to avoid the storms.

Shortly after that, we banked to the left again. I couldn't look out the window anymore because the sun was in my eyes. Ouch!

Now, I'm not always the best at knowing which way I'm headed. Ever since I've moved to Kansas City, going east feels like going south, and vice versa. But I do know that the sun sets in the west. And if west is to the right, then you are facing south. And even though my team only correctly free-handed 41 of the 50 states this week (we had to draw a map of the US and put all the states in it because we were making fun of Miss South Carolina), I know that Cincinnati is NOT south of Orlando.

The pilot came on the intercom and announced that the de-icers were not working. Big whoop, right? Well, because of the thunderstorms, the air was very moist. At the altitudes we're flying at, moist air + cold metal = ice. Ice is bad. Especially when the de-icers don't work.

So we turned around and went back to Orlando. At this point, I realized that I had missed my connection in Cincinnati. I was lucky enough to get in line fairly early to inquire about my next steps. Delta had already made arrangements for me to have a hotel in Cincinnati (hooray, I can say I've been to Ohio now!) and fly out the next morning.

The strategy was to take everything from my flight and put it on a plan sitting right next door. We all had the same seats and everything! Oh, but this plane's de-icers worked. Anyway, that's mostly the story of my trip. A lot of people were annoyed, but I was impressed with the response and attention to safety issues. I had also had a good experience getting my seat changed back to a window seat (it had mysteriously been changed to an aisle between April and August...and no, I didn't hit the wrong button...it really had been changed...)

So Delta got a nice letter from me (and no, there's no sarcasm there). I was super impressed, if not ready to get off planes and home. Funny...I'm getting back on one on Monday! So...fly Delta! :)

This was longer than I thought it would be...but it's my first air adventure. Actually, it seems that in my family the first time we fly by ourselves, this happens. My sister had the same thing happen (weather, not mechanical breakdown) the first time she got a flight by herself. Although, they gave her the royal treatment because she was a kid flying alone.

Ok. That's it. No...seriously...I'm done.

No comments: