Friday, August 24, 2007

My Scatterbrain

So I have had in my head many "backup" ideas for what I could post here. However, I seem to keep finding plenty to discuss as it is.

Actually, there are a few odds and ends that I would like to mention. The first is probably an inappropriate glimpse into my mind. There are many strange impulses that I sometimes have. I don't mind publishing them because some people already know about my odd desire to shove my face into a cake, throw food, or dance in the rain.

Right now, in my hotel, I am on the fifth floor. The rooms all open to a large atrium/lobby. And I find that when I walk to my room from the elevators, I have the strangest desire to throw my phone down five floors to the lobby below. I suppose this impulse just comes from knowing that it would be extremely easy, if I were not careful, to drop something off.

That sounded better in my head...

Actually, today I learned a lesson...or I have something to share. There was a rainstorm, and I was listening to the girls from California express wonderment at the shower, "Ooooh! It's coming down so hard!" and "It's so warm out here for a rainstorm." Well, I was a little judgmental. Coming from Kansas and having had the experiences to travel, I was thinking how easily entertained these girls were, and had they never seen rain before?

But then I thought about how it is very possible that these girls were unexposed. Not everyone has had travel experiences, so just because I wouldn't be shocked by something I saw in California because I have been there before, it does not mean that these girls have seen the entire world.

And when this became clear, I was able to join in their amusement. I mean, I personally love stormy weather. But I was just so happy that these girls had the opportunity to experience something new and exciting to them. I was even proud to be a part of it (like I had some kind of control over where we hold training and what the weather will be like when we're down here).

So anyway, that was my little learning experience about judging people. Every time I do it, I learn how wrong I was. And yet I seem to be addicted to it. I hope that the act of writing down, pondering on, and sharing these experiences will help me to curtail this addiction.

No comments: