Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Week

Okay, so I thought I might actually do something rational for once and post what I've been up to lately.

Sunday I flew down to Orlando, FL to attend training for my company, KPMG. Every day from 8:30-5:30 we attend class (and from 8-3 on Saturday). My class consists of 34 people from offices in KC, St. Louis, and Minneapolis. There are 15 people from my office, and our instructors are also from KC (including my performance manager - she's not exactly a boss, but the person I'll ultimately be accountable to for setting goals and getting raises and bonuses).

Class is half lecture, half hands on. We also do a lot of random fun activities. We created a fake accounting department, which sounds really dorky and nerdy, but it was my favorite part: mostly because people got really creative with it and came up with problems not in the scope of the activity, but still very realistic. We had customers "cheating" us.

For the Harry Potter fans out there, I've noticed some similarities. We are called "first years," and every time I hear the phrase I think of the books: Hagrid calling, "Firs' years! This way!" and little first years running around having no idea what was going on. Also, we're divided into tables for classes, and we have a running point tally going on. So every time points are awarded (for the same reasons as in the HP books - answering questions correctly, being on time, etc.) it feels a little Hogwartish. Yes, I'm a nerd. But then again, I'm an accountant, has anyone ever really doubted it?

My group sticks together for pretty much everything (just the KC office). Every night we go out to dinner, and they usually go out drinking afterwards. I try to tag along as much as possible...
On Thursday night our teachers took the office to a Tapas restaurant (called Tu Tu Tango). Each person orders a couple of appetizers (out of a list of at least 30) and then we share them all. It was pretty good. They also had flamenco dancers.

Anyway, that's all the excitement that's been going on. Tomorrow I'm going to Universal Studios, but I don't know how long I'll stay there. It just depends on who all goes...

Sorry this wasn't very intellecutally stimulating.

No comments: