Sunday, December 30, 2007

Drama Drama Drama

Recently I have had the opportunity to re-discover myself through countless hours of soul searching and watching Scrubs. Once again, my favorite doctor is in my head, and his voice narrating my life is so much more pleasant than Sarah Jessica Parker’s. I know that’s odd, as his is a masculine voice, and the voice in my head should be a girl. But that’s the point of a narrator, isn’t it? Isn’t that why some authors are so good at writing books about the opposite sex? Don’t you remember Stranger than Fiction?

Well, a few months back when I was watching Scrubs, JD was dating a girl who liked “drama.” She got bored in a normal relationship, and so he was always trying to make up dramatic issues for the two of them to face as a couple.

Well, I was thinking about that last night. First of all, as a person, I obviously like drama. I’m always trying to spice up my life and make it more interesting. Take my little fairy tales as an example. Now, I’m generally happy, and with or without daydreaming, I enjoy myself. I remember telling my senior that the audit, “Would be so exciting if it was exciting.” He needed a bit of an explanation on that one. See, I found the audit dramatic – like a high speed car chase. But I knew that I would be alone, or at least in a minority, with that opinion.

Well, that’s my personal drama. Going back to Scrubs, I thought about the couple’s relationship. I think every relationship starts off with a little bit of drama. “Does he?” “Doesn’t she?” “Will he?” “What is this?” And so on. And you always hear about seasoned couples trying to “bring back the romance” in their lives. Isn’t that what romance is all about? Romance = surprises = suspense = drama. So really, JD and his girl weren’t all that unique in trying to add drama to their relationship. I suppose she just required a higher level than most people.

Now, there’s a spiritual side to all of this, believe it or not. In fact, that’s actually where I began thinking about all of this. See, I think we all have that same drama issue with God. So many times I have heard a version of, “It’s in the tough times that we rely on God!” “When things are going well, I don’t think about God, but when they go poorly…”

Taking my own personal “way too much faith” issue out of this, I’d say we all – even agnostics and atheists – play this drama game with God. Someone about to die – prays. Whether for physical safety or spiritual renewal, we all run to God in the hard times! Now, we can also run to him in the good times – when everything’s going well, it’s so easy to praise God in or out of church!

We hear a lot about spiritual peaks and troughs, but what about sitting on the side of the hill? How’s our relationship with God then? I actually found myself “creating” drama in my life so I could take it to God. When what I used to talk to Him about was obsolete, I created messes to take to Him.

I suppose that’s good in its way. If my life is perfect, I can always pray about other people’s. And, of course, give God thanks. I’d like to think it doesn’t take a gun literally pointed to my head to force me to pray.

But look at it from God’s perspective. He wants us to come to Him. To bring everything to Him, big or small. To praise Him through thick and thin. So I suppose a little drama, made up or not, can only serve to strengthen the relationship, and if we can train ourselves to go to Him when we need him most, perhaps we will learn that we can count on Him when it’s smooth sailing as well.

No comments: