Friday, December 14, 2007

More on That

So, I have more to add about that last post, as I sit in this plush hotel being paid for by Northwest Airlines... :)

Anyway, one other item I wanted to add about respecting parents. Jesus seemed to focus on this particular commandment. He was always talking about how the pharisees would leave their parents to work, and then the parents would grow old alone. Sometimes he would yell at them for requiring others to tithe rather than take care of their parents. And at the cross, he left his mother in the care of his favorite disciple.

On the other hand, he said to "hate your mother and leave your father" for the Him. I mean, he didn't really mean it, but he didn't want anything getting in the way of the Gospel.

And I suppose that's right. Nothing should get in the way of the Gospel. But the point is, if Jesus found this commandment so high, then we should definately try to follow it!

Further, just in the time I've started to try to focus on this, I feel much closer to my family.

No comments: