Saturday, September 8, 2007

My Analogy

Today I would like to talk about explicit words. But since I don't cuss, I am going to have to use stand-in curse words to get my points across. I think this could be fun. Now, on a level of least offensive to most offensive, I am going to use: "flower," "petal," "pollen," "stem," and "dirt." That last one is a really dirty word! (Ha! CHEESY!)

Now, I'll say "flower" every now and then. I don't like to, and I usually feel funny afterwards, but I really don't think it even qualifies as a cuss word. It's just because I didn't start saying it until I was older. In fact, if you ask me what it really is, I'll tell you, but not right now because it would look out of place on this pretty little page.

"Petal" and "pollen," (Petal especially) can be used in the correct context of their real meanings. You might guess what "petal" is. I say this one, too, when I'm not trying to curse. In religious discussions, it is most useful.

And then, of course, are "stem," and "dirt." And this is the point of my little discourse. Because I don't cuss, I get so confused by people who do. "Dirt," is the worst word out there. So, if a person cussed, I would think he would save this word for anything he considers to the be worst possible scenario. The rest of the time he would limit himself to "pollen" and "stem." Conversely, if cussing really was his thing, then I would think he would stick to "dirt" all the time. It's the most offensive, and it conveys the most emotion. It would be like me saying "flower" a lot.

But they don't. People who cuss switch from "pollen" to "dirt" to "stem" back to "dirt" a couple of times, "stem" "stem" and even a "flower" thrown in for good measure. And they may use any of these words in any situation.

Pollen! My computer's running slow today.

Dirt! That file won't open.

Stem! (A stand alone expletive used when someone runs into your car).

Now this is exactly what I'm talking about. I would think that "dirt" would be more appropriate for the car wreck...if you're going to say a curse word, that seems like a better time than a file not opening. And yet, this file gets a higher ranked curse word.

So I guess the saying, "Where you eyes are, there too will your heart be," cannot be switched around to say, "Where your cusswords are, there too will your heart be." I think the phrase would be, "Just say whatever the petal you feel like."

My final observation is that I can be confused about this, but I can't really be judgmental (I mean about how they choose to use their cuss words...the fact that they are cussing does bother me). I mean, I can't think of a time I've really cussed. It's a sign of today's world that I've thought cuss words a lot.

But I've already said that I'll say "flower" sometimes, and the cutsie language of my youth has conformed to the crasser version society uses - not cuss words, just...crass. I guess that's a product of age. But sometimes I'll use "flower" when I could just as easily not have. And other times, when I'm in the worst of moods, and things are all falling apart, it doesn't even occur to me to use that word or cuss at all.

So I guess it's just what comes to mind. I mean, that's the point of explicit language: essentially nonsensical words used to display usually negative emotions. (My friend came up with "nutbunnies" because it didn't resemble any known curse words...but she still used it in the form of one...like I use "drat.")

No comments: