Friday, September 21, 2007

My Catch Phrases

I'm not going to lie. That particular phrase first came to my attention over Spring Break, 2006. In fact, I think someone pointed out that it was kind of a "catch phrase."

Ever since I've been in Chicago, I've been surprised to hear people saying things that I only recently started hearing in Kansas. Now, I'm not surprised that phrases can be just as trendy as any fad of fashion. What I wonder about is how they spread!

Who comes up with this particular phrase? Perhaps it was a movie star, or public figure, like other fads. But I think the words we use are more a reflection of the people we hang around with. A lot of our mannerisms come from those who are close to us, until we can't always tell who started them.

What amazes me is how phrases like that can spread so quickly! I mean, think about the very real differences between how people talked in the '50's and how they talk now. And also think about the geographical differences between Chicago and Kansas.

So, imagine it like a plague. Buddy says something new and unique. His friend Allison hears it and start using it herself. Her friend Joey comes in from the big city, and starts to say it himself. And then he flies off to New York city, where someone overhears his cell phone conversation, and so on...

Isn't it amazing? And what would be more amazing would be able to work backwards. To find Buddy. Does he always come up with fun catch phrases? Or was it just lucky that this one caught on. Does he even know he was the first one to say it? Did he say it all his life, or did he just make it up one day? Is he an influential personality in general, or is he usually quiet, and the wonderfulness of the phrase was due mostly to the fact that he speaks so little, and therefore everything he says is inspired?

So, here's the challenge. Find something that will be the next big language fad. A phrase, a word....I want to hear it on national TV in a year, and I want it to have come from you! (Or me)

No comments: