Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Sequel

Yesterday in my quiet time, I decided I wanted to give the day to the Lord. I think that in doing this I wanted to be the kind of "holy" person CS Lewis had been talking about who fulfilled all these qualities: busy, but not stressed, kind, but doesn't need anyone, joyful, etc. Qualities that make a person stand out, without them even having to say anything.

Well, that lasted about until I went out the door. I mostly forgot about the whole thing.

At work, I was stressed out because I had nothing to do. At all. Actually, I suppose I did have assignments, but they were few and far between. It was starting to look like my old Raytheon internship, where I'd make the rounds, asking for work to do, complete my 15 minute task, and start all over again.

Then things got shook up. Literally. They moved us from my cozy 6th floor room, where I had a few people who would give me tasks to do, down to the 1st floor - smaller group and (even more stressful) NEW PEOPLE!

So I went home utterly depressed. This was supposed to be the job I had for life, and yet, I had nothing to do. When I did have something to do, it wasn't really a task that required a CPA. At this point, I was thinking, "God, I gave this day to You. What happend?"

Now, before you judge me, I wasn't asking him how he could do this to me. Although that did come up. This question was about myself. How could I let myself get so caught up in my own cares? I was not pleasant at work yesterday - and less so as the day went on. How could i forget that easily?

If you're at all wondering about the title of this post, I'm getting to it, and it's the best part! This morning I got to work and, while setting up, one of my new roommates (a senior manager)introduced himself to me. And he asked me if I had anything to do! He immediately set me up with a project that took several hours, and which fully met all the expectations I had preconcieved about being an auditor. Then Ryan, a former and current roommate who used to use his right-hand man Dan, asked me for help - because I was there and Dan wasn't.

Further, when I got to thinking about it, it was probably better to be away from the people who had given me tasks before, just because their tasks were short, and these new tasks were....longer.

So, here's the lesson I learned in this: to wait upon the Lord. Just like in my song. See, even though I never actually gave myself to Him yesterday, I guess you could say I started. But whether or not we're talking blessings or not, my timeline was obviously different than the rest of the world's. All the work I could hope for fell into my lap, and if I had just stopped my whining yesterday and turned around to greet my new coworkers, I might have realized that sooner.

As it happened, I've had yet another lesson in patience and timing.

And keeping my promises: they could have helped me out more yesterday than they could have today!

No comments: