Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Being Back...

So I'm back in Chicago, and it feels as though I never left. It feels so natural to be walking down those halls, driving around familiar neighborhoods...I can't imagine a time when I thought that it would be my last day here, and I can't forsee a time when I wouldn't be here. I know that eventually I will leave forever.

Of course, my first days here have been so much better - I came riding on the tails of a good review, and the last thing I want to do is ruin it. However, I like being able to walk in and just get down to work. That makes me so confident - all that confidence I used to have is back. Why is Chicago like a magical "confidence lightbulb?"

Anyway, it's like walking around K-State. I was there for a summer before college, and on my first day of class, walking back to the dorms, I saw the exact same cracks in the sidewalk. Even now, for the rest of my life, when I walk that path back to the dorms, I will always feel the way I felt as a 15-year old. Or at least nostalgic for it.

The same is true for UCC. I practically lived in that church the last two years. In fact, I was known to nap there on occasion, and who can forget the Saturday night communion food poisoning episode? The church was new my junior year, and it still has the same smell. I remember watching Bewitched the movie, and hearing the line, "Home is wherever you've been happiest." Every time I walk into that building, that's what I think. Home...

Maybe this client is a little like that. I mean, I still had grouchy sessions - headache, didn't have a security badge, that's about it.

Another thing - it's like Harry Potter - how he returns to Hogwarts every year. This year is year 5. What I mean by that is, I feel like Harry must have felt his 5th year - being igored by Dumbledore.

Therefore comes my new goal - Harry had six exciting, magical, and enchanted years at Hogwarts. He learned and grew. I plan to do the same at my job. Exciting. Magical. Enchanted.

No comments: