Sunday, January 6, 2008

Restatement of a Prior Opinion

Perhaps I was a little too judgmental on Detroit, or "D-Town," as I call it. I think the word I had used was "accursed."

I am, of course, putting my frustration with my job with the city. I mean - Brighton is what appears to be a half cutesy ski-community that is struggling to maintain that "bright" image. My job is freezing, my manager completely frustrates me, and the calibre of work I've been doing seems to have regressed again.

Then again, the fact that I'm even willing to write this "retraction," is partially due to a couple of good days at work...and some rest and relaxation over the holidays.

But as far as Detroit goes - It's no Chicago or Manhattan. But I suppose if I gave it another chance, I could equate it to Kansas City - not somewhere I'd choose to live, but livable. There are unique features.

It seemed to me the ground was eternally covered with a layer of snow. Now, when you're cold, your'e tired of winter, and that's not good. But it actually can be pretty - and nice that a fresh layer arrives every morning to cover up the slush on the roads from the day before.

Add to that the forests that I keep seeing. Of course, I'm driving through dead forests in fog or night, so I can't really analyze them. But I can tell that there's more of them than there are in Kansas.

Now, there is a drawback - the accent drives me nuts! In Chicago, the accent was cute, except on middle age women, where it made most of their drawbacks worse.

Now here - on the other hand - I have difficulty not laughing every time I hear anyone speak. I find myself wondering if they know how ridiculous they sound. Unlike a southern accent - which I opine to be annoying but others adore - this accent almost seems "made up." Like someone said, "Let's just elongate all our 'a's for no reason at all." The saddest part - names. I couldn't stand to hear Ashley's sister call her Aaaaaaaaaaaaashley on the plane ride here.

Enough on their accent. I went to a gorgeous mall today - which shows that there are good things in this city. And you can get some pretty good meal deals.

So, essentially, I take it back. Detroit is not "accursed." It's just - cold and accent challenged.

No comments: