Saturday, January 5, 2008

How Far We've Come

Well, there's a song I'd like to break down again. It's actually not a Christian song, so I don't think it has many theological implications. But I do like it, and I think it can bea thinker. It's Matchbox 20 (or is it Twenty?) and real popular right now, but no one I try to discuss it with seems to have heard it.

"Waking up at the start of the end of the world, but it's feeling just like every other morning before. Now I wonder what my life is going to mean and it's gone.
The cars are moving like a half a mile an hour at that. Started staring at the passengers...." Okay, not sure what he says. Anyway, since I interrupted myself, I just like the visual here. This could totally be the end of the world in the guy's head, or the real end (everyone's trying to escape, so there's a huge traffic jam).

"...I wonder what was ever really special about me all this time." I LOVE this line. I think it's awesome and could convey so much more than it does. I mean, I think we're all special, but even more than we're special, we all think we're special. Of course, at the end of this guy's life, he's wondering why. Why does he think he's special? Can anyone validate him? Was his life worth anything?

"I believe the world is burning to the ground. Oh well, I guess we're gonna find out. Let's see how far we've come! Let's see how far we've come! I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we're gonna pretend. Let's see how far we've come. Let's see how far we come!" I think the telling lyrics in the chorus are "Oh well." A wise friend of mine once commented that we can do anything we set our minds to. That aside, I figure when the world actually does come to an end - when God decides its over - there's really little we can do about it. We're just all riding this cosmic ball together.

More lyrics I can't remember...."I started crying, but I couldn't stop myself. I started running but there's nowhere to run to!" Well the first part is understandable at the end of the world. However, I like the running phrase. There's no where to run to. Where do you go when the ENTIRE world is ending.

Anyway, I don't know where I was going in sharing this with everyone, but I really like this song. There's another one I like, too. By Fergie:

"I hope you know. I hope you know. That this has nothing to do with you. It's personal myself and I. We've got some straightening up to do. But I'm gonna miss you like a child misses it's blankie, but I've gotta get a move on with my life. It's time to be a big girl now . And big girls dont' cry."

Anyway, I like how this song is about breaking up - if it's sincere or if it's just an excuse (not about you, all about me) it's amazing! And at the very least, it soundes like an easy letdown. But I like it because, if you take out romantic references in the choruses, then I think it kind of expresses the sentiments I feel towards my parents. I'm going to miss them, but I need to break away from the nest and live my own life.

Much along the lines of my discorses from weeks past.

No comments: