Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Straight Forward

Although I would like to continue my fairy tale, I realized that it probably makes sense to no one but me. So, a few "simple" words...

First of all, I have one last observation on Michigan before I lay that case to rest - and it's not that they drink ginger soda. Even though the company was Japanese owned and everyone had to wear uniforms that made them look like mechanics, I decided that this company was one I could find myself working for as a private accountant. Back at my last client, that had never occurred to me. I think it's the size. Think, "The Office." I mean, there's comraderie.

Yesterday I did another of those special first year tasks, like getting snacks, making photocopies, and studying for the CPA exam. My task was called "file babysitting," and apparently they do this at every firm, but it's not that common. It was an opportunity, though! Essentially, one CPA firm is taking over one of our clients, and they want to look at our old workpapers, so I sit in the room and watch them do it. I planned a trip to Philadelphia in the morning. And in the afternoon - photocopies!

What I mean about an opportunity, though, is being able to witness the process of switching. I mean, we read about the standard format in our CPA exam studies - there are set questions to ask, there's a letter involved so the old firm can cover it's liabilities. And it was nice being on the inside, too. I mean, seeing the real flesh and blood behind the "case study." That, and it's a process that only managers and partners are really involved in because it is so risky, so I probably won't see it again until I take over or lose a client in five years.

And now for today.

Drumroll please!

Yes, it may surprise some of you the glamourous life I have been privy to, and how I've worked my way up through the ranks so quickly. Yesterday I was but unassigned. Today - yes, today I am doing "agreed upon procedures!" What, you may ask, has she done to deserve this honor? I know not, but I will tell you what - I'm super excited. Agreed upon procedures act like an audit, but they're more fun because they can theoretically be anything! My example would be the Oscars - the Academy votes and sends their votes directly into an accounting firm, who tabulates the votes and produces the sealed envelopes. This may actually be "consulting" work, but that's my example, and I'm sticking to it.

Well, I suppose no one else cares about that bit but me. But the REALLY exciting thing is that I'm doing these procedures for the Kansas City Chiefs! I worked in Arrowhead Stadium today, but I didn't see any football players. Maybe I did, but I wouldn't have recognized them.

I guess that's all the gushing I can do and still remain professional. I would only add that we also audit the Royals, and they are, I think, actually linked together, so whoever audits one audits them both. I am NOT on the real Chiefs assignment. I'm just out there for two days. But for all you sports fans....

No comments: