Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blank

My mind is a blank. All day I drive through Kansas thinking of what I'd like to post, and I can't come up with anything now...What threw it all from my head? My headache? The plane ride? Talking to my parents? Facebook?

I've been thinking a lot recently about a lot of things, and somehow they either flee my mind, or come flooding back together at the speed of light, to where I can't make any sense out of them!

It's been a good day, though.

Okay - so here's a topic.

I've been thinking about how selfish we can be, as people. How you are always afraid people are talking about you, but they're really talking about themselves. We're all walking around in little bubbles known as our heads - our own worlds.

I've slowly realized that my measure of love is how far I go to be unselfish with a person. A quick measure of that is definately how much I let them do the talking - rather than interrupting with (let's face it) useless tidbits about myself. Or steering the conversation away from me (although I do that with people I've just met as a conversational method, so that doesn't count as respect or love).

Anyway, it's definately true - the people I want to sit down and listen to are the ones I respect most in the world, and enjoying their company like that makes me want to come back for more. I'm an auditor - my spiritual gift is knowledge - I love learning, and I love people who can teach me things...even things I didn't know I wanted to learn!

Recently I had that growing sense. I hope she won't mind if I tell the story - but I think it's a good one. I was going to dinner with my best friend, whom I hadn't seen in a week, and thinking about all the things I had to tell her.

Now, from what I've read about guys and girls (guys, contradict me if any of this is wrong) - guys will say what they have to say and then stop talking. It's not uncommon for guys not to talk to each other. But girls HAVE to talk, and what they usually do is a 5-on 5-off thing. I mean, "I'll listen for 5 minutes, but then I get to talk."

Well, I've noticed somethin about me - and probably because I am a girl - the more I want to tell my story, the more I'll talk to the other girl and try to get her to lay it all down on me first. I mean, if I have an AWESOME story I can't wait to tell...then it's all "Hey, how are you? How was your day? Anything exciting happen?" And I'm not trying to show her up. Really! It's just a way of making sure I get my politeness covered. A chore. If you will. Not very loving...

Anyway, I was thinking of my awesome week and all the things I had to tell her, and for some reason I thought ahead to the fact that I would "have" to ask her about her week first...and then something marvelous happened. I wanted to know! I really wanted to know! My exciting week melted away as I thought of all the exciting changes that had happened in her life recently, and how dynamic the changes were. I thought, "It's been a whole week since I've seen her. I bet a LOT has happened."

So we've been super tight awesome buddies almost since we met. And I honestly don't think we've ever "grown closer" because we just hit it off - almost magically - from the get go! More comforatble together? More knowledge about each other? Yeah. But better friends? We started high, and there wasn't much room for improvement.

And for the record, I've always loved her stories. I guess what I'm saying is that, in a year that has seen me get more and more selfish due to lack of outside communication, I felt it was a giant leap for me to see myself being unselfish - but HONESTLY unselfish - not because I felt society was forcing me to be. And the truth is, when I think of all my friends that I feel that way about - it really does feel better to listen and be unselfish with them.

Love is a good thing.

No comments: